Shure SE846 Unique Low Pass Filter with 10 stainless steel plates laser cut to new tolerance capabilities... Laser welded together.
The LF driver output travels through over 4 inches of high inertance acoustic path length, allowing LF roll off to begin at about 75Hz without distortion.
"Ground breaking low pass filter for a true subwoofer experience"
This is the only earphone that uses this technology, and the only earphone capable of this LF performance.
Here you can see a bigger image of the SE 846 showing the details inside: low pass filter, laser etched balanced armature drivers, etc.
After waiting for 3 long years, finally something new and this time around, super-exciting. Shure just turned 88 years old on April 25, 2013. And what better way to celebrate 88 years of legendary performance than launching their new flagship in-ear headphones? The new Shure SE846 will feature 4 balanced drivers - 2 low freq, 1 mid freq, and 1 high freq drivers on a 3-way crossover configuration.
But you know what? That's not so exciting. The exciting part is that this marks a big American come back in research and development. The research that was put in this new flagship earphones and the development that was done assures that Shure's competition will not be able to catchup with new, revolutionary technology for at least a couple of years. That's how complex and thought over this project was. Scott Grinker, Sean Sullivan, Matt Engstrom and the team from Niles, Illinois made sure to create something truly revolutionary with the way the sound is delivered to the ear canal. Another complex part of this project is the manufacturing process and there is where the difficulty will be for their competitors to catch up on this new way of deliverance and manufacturing. I'm not even sure they will be able to ever do it in this same fashion as the processes and technology behind the SE846 hints some patents applications. The Shure SE846 will go on sale for $999.99 Just a cent short from a thousand bucks. But if you are like me and have the disposable income, this new experience is a must have. Shipments will start this late Summer. Earphone Solutions is taking preorders now. I will come back to this page to talk more about the technology behind the SE846 and the details on the manufacturing process which are quite intriguing. As soon as we know more. Official announcement was made in Asia (huge market for Shure) on May 9, 2013. In the meantime I can advance to you that Shure is extending the high-end clarity even more plus increasing bass performance as well.
Features of the SE846 will include:
- Quad Hi-Definition Balanced MicroDrivers for extended high-end crystal sound.
- A revolutionary low-pass filter that will act like a subwoofer. So much so that Shure has a pending patent on this new design.
- You will now be able to adjust between 3 sound signatures via user serviceable nozzle - user changeable for different sound signatures. Yes! How cool is that? You can choose between warm sound, balanced sound or bright sound. If you are like me, I'll be bouncing between warm and balanced.
- Shure states these will isolate up to 37 decibels of ambient noise. I know they have a study out that shows you can reach up to 44 dB with the Shure eartips depending on the frequency range but I understand Shure prefers to under promisse and over-deliver. That's how they roll. Now compare this sound isolation to Bose's mere 26 dB "cancellation? Cancellation means babies will continue to cry on airplanes and you will hear all of it. With Shure's passive noise isolation you can say goodbye to all that stressing noise in the cabin.The cables are removable and feature Shure's Wireform Fit which increases secure fit with comfort.
- The housing is a crystal clear transparent earpiece that lets you see the laser-etched components inside and admire in awe Shure's precision engineering.
- The Dual LF drivers produce deep accurate bass, and when combined with Shure's patented acoustic filter, these drivers are able to roll off at about 90Hz. The SE846 the first earphone in the market to employ the performance of a true subwoofer.
- The MF driver is tailored to blend well with the LF and HF drivers, providing a smooth, clean presence while avoiding intermodulation distortion in the mid frequencies. The HF driver is customized for extra high end extension and low distortion.
- Nozzle Insert: Once the HF and MF driver outputs combine, they are routed to the ear through the nozzle insert, which contains acoustic filtering to shape the high-mid frequencies.
- Note: by changing the nozzle insert to one with a different filter, the alternate sound signature is achieved.
- The Low frequencies are routed around the nozzle insert, keeping the low frequencies from blending with the high-mid frequencies. This helps to minimize cancellation and maintain clarity throughout the frequency spectrum.
- User can remove the nozzle to clean, or replace nozzle insert to change the sound signature. The alternate nozzle inserts create a shift of about 2-5dB in the 1kHz-8kHz range. This allows the user to chose their preference in the detail/clarity range.
SE846 Exploded View